The Institute is guided by the Professional Governance Act (PGA), BCIA Bylaws, the Governance Manual, and other agreements including the Agreement on Internal Trade, the Montreal Accord and the New West Partnership.
Professional Governance Act (2018) - effective February 5, 2021.
The Agrologists Act was repealed on February 5, 2021 with the Professional Governance Act (the PGA), of which received Royal Assent in 2018, now providing a new regulatory framework for professions in BC. The Office of the Superintendent of Professional Governance (OSPG) was established under the Ministry of the Attorney General in June 2019. The OSPG strengthens government oversight while being independent from the ministries that regulate sectors in which professionals practice. It provides the impartiality needed to create an effective and trusted framework for professional governance.
The PGA brings regulatory bodies under one act and provides a consistent governance framework for their professions that incorporates best practices of professional governance. The OSPG is responsible for administering the PGA and for ensuring that best practices for professional governance are implemented.
BCIA Bylaws - effective February 5, 2021
The Bylaws guide BCIA forward as the profession of agrology upholds its protection of the public interest and assists in the responsible development of British Columbia’s natural resources and environmental sectors under the Professional Governance Act.
Governance Manual - June 2021 Version
- Section 1 - History of the BCIA
- Section 2 - Authority, Vision, Mission, Mandate and the Strategic Plan
- Section 3 - Governance/Management Philosophy and Conflict of Interest Policy
- Section 4 - Councillor and CEO/Registrar Code of Conduct
- Section 5 - Committee Policies and Code of Conduct
- Section 6 - Committee and Working Group Terms' of Reference:
- Section 7 - Regulation and Bylaws
- Section 8 - Contact Lists:
- Section 9 - Travel Expense Policy
- Section 10 - BCIA Council Meeting Minutes (access only to BCIA Registrants)
- Section 11 - 2019-2023 Strategic Plan
The Institute has committed to other agreements, including: