NEW!! BC Institute of Agrologists Scholarships
Agrologists! Do you know a student attending a BC post-secondary agrology-related program?
To support future agrologists in achieving their career in agrology, the BC Institute of Agrologists will award up to two $1500 scholarships annually.
Scholarship Eligibility Criteria
Scholarship applicants must be:
- enrolled in a degree program at a recognized British Columbia post-secondary institute
- enrolled in 3rd or 4th undergraduate degree program or a post-graduate (Masters) program
- full-time or part-time (no fewer than 2 courses)
- enrolled in a program of study related to agrology
- a student member or member of BCIA (Complete student member application at https://www.bcia.com/members/student-membership )
- Canadian or permanent resident of Canada
- B+ average academic achievement in previous 2 years (minimum of 15 courses) of post-secondary degree studies
Applicants must provide a 300 to 500 word essay on the topic “What is Agrology in British Columbia?” The essay should demonstrate an understanding of agrology in the province of BC and provide support for the ideas expressed. All applicants must first be accepted as a member or student member of BCIA before submitting their application. Scholarship recipients may have their photo and essay published in BC Institute of Agrologists promotional materials.
Applications will be accepted for 2019 Scholarships beginning July 1, 2019 and the deadline is October 15, 2019. The BCIA Communications Committee will review eligible applications based on the essay submission. The scholarships will be awarded by Dec. 1, 2019. Questions may be sent to email@example.com
NOTE: Scholarship applications must include official unopened transcripts and be mailed to BC Institute of Agrologists, 2777 Claude Road, Victoria, BC V9B 3T7, post-marked no later than October 15, 2019.
Angeli dela Rosa - $1500 for undergraduate scholarship
Amy Norgaard - $1500 for post-graduate scholarship
Many BCIA branches recognize young scientists and future agrologists with awards at science fairs and through the support of 4-H in 2017.
- Cariboo Central Interior branch awarded $100 to a student at the Pacific Northwest Science Fair and another $100 was awarded at the Central Interior Science Exhibition.
- Peace River branch awarded a $100 to a student at the Northern BC Regional Science Fair.
- Okanagan branch awarded Julia Mansiere the BC Institute of Agrologists, Okanagan Branch, Special Award at the April 2017 Central Okanagan Regional Science Fair. Her project entitled: “Can bean leaves trap insects?” was judged by a member of the Okanagan Branch of the BCIA. The project showed great forethought and creativity, while following the principles of scientific investigation and reporting.
- Victoria & Islands branch supports the Vancouver Island Regional Science Fair. This year, Zofka Svec and Annie McLeod each recieved the BC Institute of Agrologists award. Zofka wrote,”I have had a passion for science since I can remember. This is my third year participating in the VIRSF. I will put the award toward funding my project for next year...”
- Fraser Valley branch annually supports the Fraser Valley 4-H.