Apply your resource management experience and conflict resolution skills
in this important role
BC Public Service: Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations & Rural Development
Burns Lake, Smithers
Salary $58,806.85 - $73,579.13 annually
This is also posted as a Scientific Technical Officer [Resource] 24 via Requisition 61655.
The Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development is the Province’s agency responsible for land and resource management in BC. Operating on a provincial land base of over 94 million hectares, the Ministry ensures the sustainable management of forest, wildlife, water and other land-based resources; works with Indigenous and rural communities to strengthen and diversify their economies; and, supports activities that provide environmental, economic, cultural and social benefits.
The Advisor, First Nations Relations plays a key role in projects and programs to deliver on the Ministry’s priorities of economic development and reconciliation with Indigenous Peoples. The Advisor facilitates and leads consultation processes with First Nations on proposed land and resource use activities, establishes working relationships with First Nations communities, reviews proposals for the use of land and natural resources, provides program-specific professional advice regarding potential impacts to First Nations identified or potential use areas, and ensures legal obligations have been met.
Qualifications for this role include:
- Degree in the natural resource field or equivalent as recognized by the relevant association.
- Registered, or immediately eligible [within 6 months] for registration, with the British Columbia professional association as required by the specialty area [i.e., Association of Forest Professionals, Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of the Province of British Columbia, Institute of Agrologists].
- Experience managing conflict involving multiple individuals with diverse perspectives and interests.
- Experience conducting research and analysis related to land use, resource management, social or economic development issues.
- Experience working with Indigenous Peoples and/or communities in Canada and participating in consultation with First Nations.
For more information and to apply by July 19, 2019, please go to: