Lucent Biosciences is on a mission to address climate impact on global food security and nutrition by developing solutions that regenerate soils. Soileos is our first product: a cellulose-based smart micronutrient granular fertilizer and seed coating offering higher yields without the threat of runoff pollution. We’re a start-up, with under 20 employees and lots of things to do!
Who we’re looking for:
We look for people who have a passion for agriculture, who are collaborative team players, who deliver on their commitments, who are innovators in search of a better way, and who believe in building a modern agriculture company. Working with Lucent opens the door to a world of opportunities in the agriculture and research industry. Do you like helping farmers get their best yield and quality? Do you want to help others know Agronomy better? Do you want to lead Ag innovation? Do you want to play a direct role in developing products that positively impact our planet’s environment and the agricultural industry?
About the job
Reporting to the Senior Scientist, and closely working with the CTO, and Director of Research, this position is responsible for implementing, monitoring and reporting on the research greenhouse trials located at Simon Fraser University, providing agronomy support on our large scale field trials with 20 farms across Canada and help with the product management of product line as required.
What you will do:
- Help plan and conduct field and greenhouse testing of designated research material using defined methods that will ensure accuracy and optimize results under the experimental protocol.
- Gather, compile, analyze and interpret trial results and prepare and forward progress reports.
- Interact with management and employees to convey results and provide recommendations based on active knowledge of market conditions.
- Develop guidelines for appropriate applications of products given certain weather conditions.
- Develop Standard Operating Procedures for the research greenhouse.
- Interpret soil and tissue tests as required and be able to recommend best practices for soil fertility management for local conditions.
- Attend and participate in customer/grower meetings as required.
- Present technical information related to agriculture and grower groups of various foods and grains, from apples to zucchinis.
- Liaise with appropriate industry contacts.
- Actively search for new opportunities that will enhance or expand Lucent’s market presence.
- Comply with Lucent policies and procedures and Industry regulatory and EH&S standards.
- Perform other duties as required.
You’ll be a great match if you have:
- PAg or CCA designation
- Minimum of 3 years of applied agronomy and/or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Certified Crop Advisor designation or PAg designation is preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge of modern farm practices and industry regulations.
- Applicant should have experience with crop nutritional planning and fertilizers in the current market.
- Demonstrated ability to meet and deal with the public effectively in various situations.
- An aptitude to analyze various growing conditions and markets.
- Proven ability to work independently, showing effective time management, planning, and multi-tasking skills.
- Demonstrated physical ability to perform the functions of the job.
- Excellent interpersonal and team-building skills with a positive attitude and ability to establish relationships with branch personnel, peers and customers.
- Demonstrated excellent written and oral communication skills and ability to present to small and large groups.
- Must be safety conscious.
- Conducts themselves in a professional manner.
- Must possess a valid class 5 driver’s license with a clean driving record.
You will be working out of our research plant in Coquitlam and at our research greenhouse at Simon Fraser University in Burnaby.
This role requires travelling to visit our trial farms across Canada and the Northern US.
For more information and to apply, please visit this link.