Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We are a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that’s critical to our clients and the communities we support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
The Freshwater Fisheries Team has an opportunity for an established and experienced Senior Fisheries Biologist in our Burnaby, Sidney, or Terrace, BC offices. The successful candidate will join our team of freshwater fisheries and aquatics biologists who value teamwork and enjoy the company of their colleagues.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Managing, planning, and leading freshwater field programs
- Preparing technical reports and coordinating, assembling, and analyzing large freshwater datasets
- Manage tasks and projects according to approved scopes of work, and deliver quality reports on schedule and within budget
- Understand recent and existing practices and techniques for sampling and analysis of fisheries, habitat and water data from streams, rivers and lakes
- Participate in Health, Safety, Security and Environment (HSSE) Policies, Procedures, Standards and Guidelines in the execution of all work
- The successful candidate thrives in an environment with diverse and dynamic projects, and enjoys working on multi-disciplinary scopes of work.
- The qualified candidate is expected to contribute leadership to the group. This includes:
- Providing supervision, training, technical direction, and mentoring to more junior staff
- Contributing to and leading business development activities, including proposals, pre-qualifications, and relationship-building with clients and prospective clients
- Interacting and interfacing with clients and environmental regulators
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Fluent understanding of Canadian and provincial water quality and sediment quality guidelines, legislation and regulations
- Fluent understanding of water quality modeling and software
- Thorough understanding of the acute and chronic toxicological implications of various high-profile parameters (e.g., mercury, arsenic, selenium) on aquatic biota
- Thorough understanding of the lower trophic biological communities (i.e., plankton, algae, benthic invertebrates) and interactions that provide the basis for the aquatic food web
- Experience designing and conducting aquatic fate and effects studies for metals
- Experience preparing environmental assessments/ impact statements and other regulatory applications
- Experience with aquatic environment effects monitoring study design, data interpretation, and reporting
- Demonstrated technical writing skills
- Willingness to travel for project work and business development opportunities
- Strong leadership and business development skills, including significant experience building and maintaining productive relationships with a client base
- Strong interpersonal and social skills and ability to interact across a broad range of audiences/ technical backgrounds including internal and external clients and regulatory agencies, and
- Desire to mentor and manage junior an intermediate staff (experience supervising people and/or leading teams is an asset).
Education and Experience
- A Master’s degree in one of the Environmental Sciences (e.g., Toxicology, Biology, Chemistry) or equivalent is required.
- Registered Professional accreditation required (P.Bio., R.P.Bio., P.Ag.).
- Minimum of 10 years of experience, which must include relevant consulting experience in the mining sector.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather. Ability to lift and move items and equipment up to 50 lbs.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
This posting closes on May 12, 2019. Please apply direct at www.stantec.com/careers and search the “keywords” field for 1900005W.