Blackbird Environmental is a small environmental consulting firm with a diverse team of dedicated natural science professionals, providing science-based advice to a range of clients in the agricultural, power generation, mining, and oil & gas sectors in northeastern British Columbia.
We’re looking for an engaged and driven individual to join our growing small business and build their long-term career with Blackbird.
In this position, you will work on long-term wildlife population studies, crop damage assessments, habitat enhancement projects, fish habitat assessments, gravel pit reclamation plans, breeding bird surveys, water licences, native plant revegetation projects, drone surveys, invasive species inventories, and probably a range of other interesting projects. You won’t do it alone; we have a fantastic team of other biology and agrology professionals that are just as excited about these projects as you will be. There will be reporting (you knew there would be…), mapping, and the occasional public engagement or outreach event.
This position is highly collaborative and requires an open mind, strong work ethics, and the ability to operate with little supervision at times.
This is a full-time position based out of Fort St. John, BC, and first consideration will be given to candidates currently residing in the Fort St. John area.
Minimum educational/certification/experience requirements
- A Bachelor’s degree in agriculture, biology, or environmental sciences
- Membership with the BCIA, CAB, or eligibility to obtain prior to commencement of employment
- A minimum of four years of work experience in agrology, biology, or environmental consulting
The ideal candidate would also have the following attributes/skills:
- Curiosity (the more the better)
- Adaptable to new situations and able to come up with effective solutions
- Proven ability to work under difficult conditions and in remote locations
- Excellent reporting and communication skills
- Proficiency with MS Office products, previous GIS experience would be considered a definite asset
- Good organizational skills, ability to manage conflicting priorities and tight timelines
- Industry-typical safety certification (e.g. Level 1 First Aid, H2S, ATV/UTV/Snowmobile Training)
- Valid driver’s license in good standing
This position offers rewarding work on compelling projects in a positive and inclusive environment as part of an innovative team. Blackbird offers competitive wages as well as fantastic opportunities for mentoring, training, and long-term career development.
If you’re interested in this opportunity, please submit your resume and a brief cover letter outlining how you meet the above requirements by April 10, 2020 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference “Professional Agrologist/Biologist 2020” in the subject line.
We thank all candidates for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.