$65,367.78 - $81,773.78 annually
The Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development (FLNRORD) is responsible for stewardship of Provincial Crown land and natural resources, and protection of B.C.’s archaeological and heritage resources.
Within FLNRORD, the Forest Improvement and Research Management Branch (FIRM) reports to the Office of the Chief Forester. One of the many roles within the sections of FIRM is the operational production of genetically improved seed through intensive planning, management, and administration of seed orchards in a Crown land stewardship framework. A seed orchard is a key element in a successful tree improvement program. Our seed orchards are advanced generation plantations of genetically superior trees, intensively managed to produce frequent, abundant, and easily harvested seed crops.
The position reports to the Manager, Seed Production and provides specialist services as a licensed professional Forester to manage and ensure the continued efficient operations of three Seed Orchards, including the Kalamalka Seed Orchard, Bailey Seed orchard, and Prince George Seed Orchard.
Working for BC Public Service offers a competitive salary, diverse work environment, a healthy work/life balance, and excellent benefits. In addition to the base salary for Professional Employee Association members, there is an allowance to cover professional fees, strong dental and medical plans and much more. Salary listed does not include the additional 7% Overtime Shift Standby (OSS) provision that can be taken as taken as time off or salary on an annual basis which is on top of four (4) weeks annual leave.
Qualifications for this role include:
- University degree in forestry, horticulture or agriculture. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Registered, or *immediately eligible for registration, as a fully licensed professional (RPF) with the British Columbia Professional Foresters Association (ABCFP) *Immediately means you are currently a fully licensed registered professional member in good standing in another Canadian jurisdiction and can immediately transfer to the ABCFP. OR
- Registered, or immediately* eligible for registration as a fully licensed Agrologist Member in good standing with the B.C. Institute of Agrologists (BCIA). *Immediately means you are currently a fully licensed Agrologist member in good standing in another Canadian jurisdiction and can immediately transfer to BCIA.
- A minimum of three (3) years’ *directly related experience within the last six (6) years.
- Directly related (practical) orchard experience to include:
- tree improvement, including seed and pest management
- seed orchard operations and production (i.e. pollination, harvesting, induction etc)
- A minimum of three years’ (3) experience supervising, coaching and mentoring staff
- Advanced program or function management experience including business planning, financial management, facilities and asset management.
For more information and to apply online by April 22, 2020, please go to: https://bcpublicservice.hua.hrsmart.com/hr/ats/Posting/view/68220