At Golder, we thrive on challenges.
Golder is not just a place to work, it is a promise of a living, dynamic environment where people collaborate, innovate, build enduring relationships, excel, and grow professionally in a strong culture.
Do you have the desire to learn? The drive to excel and thrive in an engaged, collaborative environment?
Golder has a new opportunity for a Soil Scientist to join our Biophysical team on a full-time basis. This job would include field work primarily in Alberta and British Columbia and would have a flexible office and can be based in Edmonton, Calgary, Saskatoon, Victoria, or Vancouver.
An overview of your role will include:
- Leading and conducting soil classification surveys, including soil sampling, analysing field data, interpreting analytical data, determining soil map units, mapping soils according to industry standards and a competency in field inventory methods including: CanSIS Manual for Describing Soils in the Field and the Terrain Classification System for British Columbia
- Participating in terrain surveys as a part of Terrestrial Ecosystem Mapping (TEM) in British Columbia, including surficial material identification drawing on knowledge of geomorphology
- Physical ability and willingness to access remote and rugged mountain terrain using a helicopter and hiking in remote and rugged mountain terrain
- Previous experience with alpine or back-country mountain experience are considered assets
- Experienced with navigation using aerial photographs, satellite imagery and GPS units
- Knowledge of Survey 123 and Collector is considered an asset
- Completing various reports with quantitative background analysis such as pre-disturbance assessments, baseline studies, environmental evaluations, environmental assessments, soil management plans, etc. Experience with data management is considered an asset
- Supervising and/or completing component management tasks including project scoping, cost estimating, subcontractor coordinating, project scheduling, and tracking task completion
- Interacting positively and communicating clearly with team members, client representatives, regulators, subcontractors, and other stakeholders
- Competent in Microsoft Office (advanced knowledge of Word and Excel), ArcGIS and ArcMap.
- Dedicated to technical leadership and quality while working independently or in a collaborative work environment
- Actively participating in Golder’s HSSE program and committing to a safe work environment
- Organized and skilled in managing multiple priorities, schedules, and coordinating various activities relating to office and field work
You will have a background in:
- A Bachelor of Science in Soil Science, Land Reclamation, Agronomy, Forestry, Ecological Restoration, Environmental Science, or related field
- Ideally five years of relevant environmental consultancy or industry experience including an increasing level of project management responsibility
- Valid Class 5 driver’s license and a clean driver’s abstract
- Valid safety tickets such as Standard First Aid, H2S Alive, Transportation of Dangerous Goods (TDG), Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS), Pipeline Construction Safety Training (PCST), British Columbia Mine Supervisor Certificate or equivalent are beneficial, but training will be provided
- A relevant designation such as membership with, or eligibility for registration with the British Columbia Institute of Agrologists
Your benefits at Golder will include:
- Competitive benefits and remuneration packages
- Deepen your expertise in a dynamic work environment
- Innovative and collaborative multidisciplinary projects
- On the job training, mentoring, and coaching
- Global projects and travel opportunities
One of Canada’s Best Managed Companies, Platinum member status 13 consecutive years
Renowned for technical excellence, Golder, now a member of WSP, is a leading, global consulting firm with over a half century of successful service to its clients. With over 165 offices in over 30 countries, Golder’s 6,500 professionals are driven by a passion to deliver results, offering unique specialized skills to address the ever-evolving challenges that earth, environment and energy present to clients across the infrastructure, mining, oil and gas, manufacturing, and power sectors.
Golder Associates Ltd. is committed to meeting the accessibility needs of persons with disabilities in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (AODA), and all other applicable legislation. Golder will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process to applicants with disabilities upon request.
To learn more about our company and culture click here to view The Promise of Golder video.