$70,049.77 - $87,622.74 annually
This position is also posted as a Planning Officer 30 under REQ 66290.
The Team Lead provides expertise, agriculture industry knowledge and leadership of the land use planning team to support the Ministry’s Strengthening Farming Program. The purpose of the Strengthening Farming Program is to ensure that B.C.’s farmland can continue to be farmed by providing local governments the specialized planning tools and assistance needed to develop plans, bylaws and policies supportive of, and sensitive to, agriculture. Members of the land use planning team guide local government staff in the appropriate application of relevant provincial legislation (such as the Local Government Act, Agriculture Land Commission Act and the Farm Practices Protection (Right to Farm) Act), to develop farm practice guidelines and Minister’s Bylaw Standards, and to implement and manage processes for bylaw approvals by the Minister. They also provide technical expertise and support for internal ministry policy and legislative priorities.
The Team Lead, Land Use Planning provides leadership of the team of two land use planners and one land use agrologist and provides land use planning support to local governments in the region of responsibility. The role has a high public profile, deals with complex issues in frequently demanding circumstances, operates in an environment of multi-jurisdictional relationships and routinely must work with organizations that hold differing and often competing positions and interests. The position demands a high degree of technical knowledge, professional judgement, and excellence in communication skills as well as the ability to use diplomacy, tact and influence in working with colleagues, senior officials of government and agencies, and industry leaders.
Qualifications for this role include:
- A Master's degree in planning, geography, agriculture, natural resource management or related field, and four (4) years of professional experience in land use planning. Preference may be given to four (4) years of professional experience in land use planning in a local or provincial government planning office or equivalent; OR,
- Bachelor’s degree in planning, geography, agriculture, natural resource management or related field, and six (6) years of professional experience in land use planning. Preference may be given to six (6) years of professional experience in land use planning in a local or provincial government planning office or equivalent.
- Registered as a Profesional Agrologisst or *immediately eligible for registration as a Professional Agrologist with the British Columbia Institute of Agrologists (BCIA).
* Note: immediately eligible is defined as being registered as a professional Agrologist in another Canadian jurisdiction and being able to transfer that membership to the BCIA within 6 months of employment. It is the responsibility of the applicant to have the BCIA review their qualifications to ensure they have the necessary requirements for registration.
- Experience leading teams and being accountable for managing assigned resources, meeting goals and achieving results. Preference may be given to applicants with 2 or more years of this experience.
- Experience in interpreting and applying policies, procedures, guidelines, legislation, and/or regulations effectively to determine an appropriate course of action. Preference may be given to applicants with 3 or more years of this experience.
- Must possess and continue to maintain a Valid Class 5 BC Drivers Licence or equivalent.
For more information and to apply online by January 20, 2020, please go to: https://bcpublicservice.hua.hrsmart.com/hr/ats/Posting/view/66291
Attention: only applications submitted through the BC Public Service’s employment website (see link above) will be accepted.