This two-day workshop provides participants with in-depth knowledge about how the Green Shores credit and rating systems can be used in shoreline management projects. The content is of interest to professionals (biologists, engineers, planners, landscape architects) and contractors, local and regional government staff, and others seeking to implement the Green Shores program for a shoreline improvement, new design or development, or other related shoreline projects.
The first day of the workshop begins with a review of shoreline ecosystems including threats and issues, management and restoration strategies, and regulatory structures in place. The Green Shores program, including benefits to stakeholders, steps for implementation, and credit systems, are also covered. The second day of the workshop focuses on application of the Green Shores credit and ratings systems through a series of desktop and field exercises. The workshop concludes with a guided group discussion around how to implement key concepts and put new learning into practice.
The cost for Green Shores Level 2 training is $465.00 plus GST; Current UVic and BCIT students receive a reduced rate. Contact email@example.com for more information.
Location: Victoria, B.C.
- By the end of this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Summarize threats to shorelines, with emphasis on climate change;
- Overview shoreline governance structures;
- Outline landowner and government responsibilities with respect to shoreline management;
- Provide examples of shoreline management strategies that support ecological resilience and climate change adaptation;
- Overview approaches to shoreline restoration; Explain the benefits of the Green Shores program to different stakeholders;
- List the Green Shores application requirements and credit categories; Summarize the basis for each available Green Shores credit;
- Outline the steps and responsibilities involved in implementing a Green Shores project;
- Compare Green Shores for Homes and Green Shores for Coastal Development programs;
- Given a sample property, identify Green Shores credits that the property is likely to qualify for and ways that shoreline function could be improved to increase the Green Shores rating;
- and Given a sample property, complete a Green Shores credit submittal.