Vancouver Island University | Natual Resource Extension Program
This course provides a comprehensive, applied overview of skills, abilities and procedures required for effective erosion and sediment control planning, construction and maintenance. Participants are introduced to the theory and practice of erosion and sediment control via in-class lectures and exercises, and numerous field exercises. Considerable time is spent in a field-based practicum, focusing on planning, constructing, evaluating and maintaining erosion structures and products for a wide variety of applications.
- Upon completion of this program, participants will be able to:
- Explore the connection between erosion and activities that modify the landscape;
- Understand the erosion process and factors affecting erosion;
- Define erosion control and sediment control;
- Understand the difference between erosion control and sediment control practices;
- Explore best management practices for erosion and sediment control;
- Understand how site conditions affect the erosion process and the effectiveness of the best management practices and erosion and sediment control practices; and
- Be able to properly select, install and maintain commonly used, effective erosion and sediment controls.