The Spotted Wing Drosophila BC Regional Research User's Meeting is intended for cherry and berry growers and industry specialists to come together to assess the status of this important pest in BC, and to have collaborative conversations about the future work that still needs to be addressed. The meeting will be the morning of January 19th, 2021, from 0830-1200. It will begin with a slate of scientists sharing current research progress and outcomes to the audience, and will be followed by breakout sessions, addressing the following questions:
1. What gaps in SWD research can be addressed to complete the IPM toolbox?
2. What barriers in practical implementation of research need to be overcome to increase SWD management capability?
3. What is the next step for industry in supporting the management of this pest?
4. What is the next step for government in supporting the management of this pest?
A follow up report summarizing the presentations and the breakout sessions will be provided to all attendees via email.
Hosted by Jesse MacDonald (AAFC-Summerland), we have a well-rounded list of current researchers presenting on everything from insect biology, biological control and sterile insect release, to the new biovigilance initiative and how SWD falls within that:
- Dr. Chandra Moffat, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
- Gordon Alton, Agragene
- Dr. Howard Thistlewood, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (retired)
- Jan Dudzic, University of Victoria
- Jen McFarlene, ES Cropconsult Ltd.
- Jesse MacDonald, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
- Dr. Juli Carrillo, University of British Columbia
- Mitch Pogoda, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
- Dr. Paul Abram, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
- Tracy Ellis, Agragene
- Tracy Hueppelsheuser, BC Ministry of Agriculture
Please register online, at no cost, here: