Vancouver branch presents
Waste to Energy Facility Field Trip – Covanta, Burnaby
Saturday Sept 7th, 2019
COVANTA | 5150 RIVERBEND DRIVE, BURNABY | V3N 4V3
Join us on Saturday September 7, 2019 for a tour of the Waste-to-Energy Facility in Burnaby. It is an efficient, environmentally responsible waste disposal facility that turns waste into electricity. It’s owned by Metro Vancouver and maintained by Covanta Burnaby Renewable ULC in Burnaby. Metro Vancouver's Waste-to-Energy Facility has operated in Burnaby since 1988 and handles about 260,000 tonnes of garbage per year – roughly a quarter of the region's garbage. It is a mass-burn facility that turns waste into electricity (enough to power 16,000 homes a year) and recovers about 7,000 tonnes of metal annually. Metro Vancouver annually earns about $8 million from the sale of electricity and $300,000 from the sale of recycled metal to a company that produces reinforcing steel.
Metro Vancouver's facility undergoes continuous operational improvements and frequent upgrades and is equipped with state-of-the-art pollution control equipment, resulting in extremely low levels of air emissions. Stack emissions and air quality around the facility have been monitored since the facility opened in 1988. Emission summaries are reported monthly to the BC Ministry of Environment and Climate Change Strategy (ENV), the City of Burnaby, and the Fraser Health Authority. The facility is approved by the BC Minister of Environment through an Operational Certificate which sets requirements related to the facility's operation, including emissions limits, monitoring, reporting and publication.
ITINERARY - Download Information Poster
30 Minute presentation followed by 20 minute tour
1st GROUP @ 8:45AM (maximum 12)
- 8:45-9:00: Arrival and check-in
- 9:00-9:30: Boardroom presentation
- 9:30- 9:50: Tour of the facility
- 10:00-10:15: Back to the boardroom for Q & A
Group 1 Tour - Register below
2nd GROUP @ 10:30AM (maximum 12)
- 10:15:10:30: Arrival and check-in
- 10:30- 11:00: Presentation
- 11:00-11:20: Tour of the facility
- 11:20-11:45: Q & A session in the boardroom
Group 2 Tour - Register HERE
COST: $5 (members), $10 (guests)
The maximum capacity for the event is 24, split into two groups of 12 each, at 9:00 AM and 10:30 AM and is open to BCIA members and guests. Please sign-up early to avoid disappointment! All registrations must be completed by the end of the day Sept 4, 2019. * Cancellation no later than 4:00 pm Thursday Sept 3rd, 2019.
Questions can be directed to: PD_Vancouver@email.bcia.com
Transportation: Download DIRECTIONS
- Free parking is available. Carpooling is recommended.
- Alternatively, you can take the 116 bus from Edmonds Skytrain Station and depart at North Fraser Way & Wiggins. There is a 15-minute walk from the bus stop along Wiggins to Riverbend. We are at the end of the dead end.
What to Wear? Download Guided Facility Tour Checklist
- Everyone must wear long pants, long sleeve shirts and closed in shoes.
- See attached PDF for detailed description for clothing
- Tour visitors need to sign a liability waiver
- For children under the age of 19, the waiver must be signed by a parent or guardian
- Children must be a minimum of 10 years of age.
- Light snacks will be provided, bring your own water
- We also provide work gloves, but you are welcome to bring your own.