Tour of Hartland Landfill
presented by the Victoria & Islands branch
Date: Saturday July 20, 2019
Time: 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM
Location: Hartland Learning Centre, #1 Hartland Avenue, Victoria
No cost. As there is limited space, please pre-register below
Take a tour of Hartland Landfill and Recycling Facility. Learn how the CRD safely and responsibly manages the region's garbage and how waste diversion programs on-site help reduce the amount of garbage ending up in the landfill. The tour will focus on Environmental Resource Management in our region including challenges and trends with waste and recycling. Features include:
- Active Face: See where all your garbage goes and what we do with it. Learn what's banned from the garbage and how improper disposal of items can result in landfill fires.
- Landfill Gas Capture and Utilization: Learn about waste recovery and how we turn garbage into electricity.
- Environmental Monitoring: Find out about control measures in place to prevent or reduce potential effects on groundwater, surface water and air through our environmental monitoring programs.
- Rehabilitation Site: Visit the closed section of the landfill where native trees and shrubs have been planted to help return the area into a natural eco-system.
- Public Drop-off Area: Find out about waste diversion programs offered at the Hartland Public Drop-off Area. By practicing the 3Rs - Reduce, Reuse, Recycling - you reduce the amount of garbage that enters the landfill. See how we're helping to protect the environment by accepting all types of household hazardous waste.
- Please park in the gravel parking lot. Carefully walk through the parking lot to the gate in the chain-link fence near the public washrooms. Daniel Lamhonwah (BCIA PD coordinator, Victoria and Island Branch) along with Hartland staff will greet you at the gate.
- Dress comfortably. We will be inside the Learning Centre classroom for a presentation and then on a school bus for the site tour. Water bottle and snacks are permitted.
- Accessibility: If anyone needs an accessible entrance or is not able to climb the steps onto a school bus please let us know ahead of time.
Please see PDF for more information on parking and learning centre location.