Frequently Asked Questions

Questions from the Public

1. How do I find out if a person is an agrologist registered with BCIA?

Go to the LIst of BCIA Registrants (Registrants on top menu bar).  You can enter the person's surname, or as few as 3 letters of their name if you are uncertain of the spelling.  All active BCIA members are listed.  However, members contact information only appears if a member has chosen to make certain information available to the public.  You can select branch to find out all those who are members of a specific branch in BCIA.

2. How do I find an agrologist who is experienced in soil evaluation?

Go to the Registrants Contracting Services to the Public tab (under Registrants on top menu).    Select the appropriate Area of Practice.  

"Soil fertility evaluation" is under Agricultural and Environmental Sectors.  Other relevant areas might be "soil and terrain classification".  You can narrow your search further by selecting the "branch" or region which is closest to your area.  

Note: Find an Agrologist lists ONLY active PAg and Articling registrants who have chosen to make certain contact information available to the public.  (BCIA registrants who log in  will get a list of PAgs and Articling registrants who have made their information available to both the public and BCIA members.) 

3.  What education do I need to become an agrologist?

Go to Requirements for PAg and RTAg Registration for information on the courses and education required for membership.  Reference the definition of Agrology when determining if your courses qualify.

4. How does BCIA protect the public interest?

In British Columbia, any person calling themselves "agrologist" or using title as Professional Agrologist (PAg) or Articling Agrologist (AAg) are required to be a member in good standing with BCIA.  As a member they must comply with the conditions and limitations of the Institute, have the appropriate educational background and continued professional development in their area of practice.  Members are required to take an ethics workshop and conduct themselves in a professional manner.  BCIA monitors members professional development through an annual audit.

5. Do I need to be working in agrology to apply for membership?

No.  As long as you have the minimum course requirements, you may apply to BCIA as an Articling Agrologist.  However, your two year term (or one year if applicable) as an Articling Agrologist will not begin until you have gained employment in an agrology-related position.

6. When do I attain a mentor?

It is strongly encouraged that you secure a mentor upon applying for membership.  If a successful decision and Articling registration is granted, you can engage immediately with your mentor and you are off to the races.  IF you need assistance in finding a mentor, your assigned branch Articling Coordinator can assist.  It is very important that a signed mentoring agreement is submitted to head office once a mentor is secured and membership is granted.

7.  Will becoming a BCIA member help me in my search for employment?

By becoming an agrologist and using the appropriate designation, you are indicating to employers and the public that you are registered with a professional regulatory body and meet the requirements for professional practice.