BCIA Monthly Update of Activities – FEBRUARY 2018
WHAT's COMING UP
- Okanagan Branch AGM
- Victoria Branch - "Right to Title and Right to Practice" in Victoria & Nanaimo
- Okanagan Branch - Macrophotography Workshop with Ward Strong, P.Ag.
CALL FOR INTEREST
DID YOU KNOW?
1.Updates to the AAg Program & Tardy AAg Extension Fee
TWO new requirements have been added to the Articling Agrologist program, for newly approved AAg’s as of January 1, 2018:
- attendance at one branch PD event during the AAg term
- AAg meets with their mentor, as a face to face meeting or electronically, at least 2X/year during the AAg term.
Any AAg with a commencement date prior to January 1, 2018 keeps to their AAg program requirements as outlined in their acceptance letter, AAg checklist and information in the AAg journal. https://www.bcia.com/members/articling-agrologist-program#4.
On this webpage you will see that the implementation of an extension fee is to start Dues 2019 that will affect AAg’s ONLY if the member maintains AAg status for more than 3 years. Each AAg is advised that the program (with a typical 2 year term or 1 year if qualified) should be completed within 3 years so if an AAg delays completing the AAg program beyond the 3 calendars years a $60 fee will apply to the annual membership fee of $340.00, to equal PAg dues of $400.00.
2. WEBINAR - An Overview of BC's new Spill Response Regulations
This webinar was hosted by BCIA on January 16 and presented by Ben Vander Steen to a capacity group. Because many members missed the webinar, it will be presented again on March 29, this time by Maryam Mofidpoor, P.Ag.. This will be the same presentation as Ben presented in January. For more information, and to register, go to BCIA website - EVENTS
3. February's Featured Agrologist - Jessica Morgan
"Agrology and environmental consulting is a long way from my original career path of being a Doctor! I wanted to do something that was different and where I felt I was making a difference. I decided to take a course in Environmental Impact Assessment ... " Take a moment to read why Okanagan branch P.Ag., Jessica Morgan became an agrologist and what she does. Go to NEWS on the BCIA website.
WHAT's COMING UP
4. 2018 Membership Dues - $50 LATE FEES after Feb. 15
Over 600 BCIA members have not yet paid their 2018 membership dues! There are 10 days remaining before the late fee is applied to overdue dues.
Remember, before paying you must:
- Enter your Areas of Practice for 2017
- Enter your Professional Development hours for 2017
- Then go to the Dues Invoice tab or follow the PAY DUES link to your 2018 invoice
5. BCIA Ethics for Professionals Workshop available in Burnaby - REGISTER NOW
The BCIA Ethics for Professionals workshop is being offered on Sat. March 3 at the Executive Suites Hotel, 4201 Lougheed Hwy in Burnaby. Registration is now open. Go to EVENTS on the BCIA website. Note: Additional Ethics workshops will be offered this spring in Fort St. John (June 2) and in Prince George (TBD).
6. BCIA Provincial Conference and AGM in Fort St. John - May 30 - June 1
This year Peace River branch is hosting and the theme is "Working Together: A Cooperation between Agrology and Industry". The planning committee has almost completed their plans for the event presentations and field tours. Details will be available later this month with registration beginning in early March. The BCIA AGM is scheduled for the afternoon of Thur, May 31, with PD presentations the Thursday morning and tours on Friday, June 1, and with the AAg workshop on the evening of Friday, June 1. The Ethics workshop is planned for Sat. June 2, 2018. Stay tuned.
7. Upcoming Branch Activities
- Okanagan Branch AGM - Thur, Februrary 8, 2:00 - 9:00 pm at the Kelowna Ramada Hotel. Registration still open. Go to Events
- Victoria branch - "Right to Title and Right to Practice" - held in Victoria on Feb. 15 & in Nanaimo Feb. 20. BCIA Executive Director, JP Ellson will discuss with members the legislature and the implications. Go to Branches - Victoria & Islands.
- Okanagan Branch - Macrophotography Workshop with Ward Strong - March 13 at UBCO
CALL FOR INTEREST
8. What do you do as an Agrologist?
Ever been asked "What does an Agrologist do?" BCIA members do many things. BCIA lists 38 different areas of practice for our members. Have a look at the BCIA video on "Why Choose Agrology?" to see what some BCIA members do. Want to share what you do in Agrology with other Agrologists and the public? Take a moment to complete our "What Does an Agrologist Do?" survey and be our next Featured Agrologist!
9. Call for Credentials Committee Members
We are currently looking for volunteers for the Credentials committee. Interested in ensuring our new members admitted to the Institute meet the qualification requirements of the Institute? Have a look at the Terms of Reference posted on the website, and submit your expression of interest to the Executive Director/Registrar, JP Ellson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Did you Know?
You can find webinars and PowerPoints from 2017 branch PD events under Member Resources ? Under Professional Development, you can find Richard Romer's webinar on Sustainable Management of Contaminated Sites in BC (presented May 2017). You can also find PowerPoints from last year's Conference and the Vancouver/Fraser branch "Regulatory Tune-up". Log in and look over the many PD presentations posted.
10. January Website Additions
- Water Sustainability Act - Livestock Watering Regulations
- New Membership Criteria and new Applicant Academic Worksheet
- 2017 Membership Stats (listed under News - Quarterly Membership Updates)
11. PD Sessions/Conferences by Different Organizations - https://www.bcia.com/events
- Rotary Presidential Conference on Environmental Sustainability & Peace, Vancouver - Feb. 9
- Restoration for Resilience: Ecological Restoration in the 21st Century - Feb. 13
- Biodiversity Training Workshop - Feb. 27 (Abbotsford) and Mar. 8 (Kelowna)
12. Job Postings - https://www.bcia.com/employment
- Mackenzie County Organic Agronomist and Consultant * Organic Alberta* Fort Vermillion, Alberta
- Senior Project Manager/Agrologist * Triton Environmental Consultants * Vancouver
- Intermediate/Senior Environmental Professional * ClearStream Environmental Consulting Services * Fort St John
- Licensed Authorizations Officer in Training * MFLNRO & & Rural Development * Prince George
- Agronomist * Coldstream * Vert Nature Inc
- Project Office Coordinator/Agrologist * Triton* Prince George
- Junior Agrologist * Prince George* Triton
- Farm Manager * Coldstream * VegPro