Mark your calendar! May 5 - 7, 2022 BC SCI-CON 2022: Environmental Management & Resiliency
The Applied Science Technologists and Technicians of BC (ASTTBC) and the BC Institute of Agrologists (BCIA) are thrilled to invite you to our first-ever joint conference: BC SCI-CON 2022. Themed ‘Environmental Management & Resiliency’, we look forward to sharing the knowledge, resources, and ideas on ways to better manage and protect our environment. The event kicks off on Thursday, May 5, 2022, at Penticton Lakeside Resort and Conference Centre in Penticton, BC, and as an industry professional or partner, you won’t want to miss it. This long-anticipated in-person event brings together ASTTBC and BCIA registrants, guests, partners, and stakeholders to participate and network in a beautiful resort located by the pristine Okanagan Lake – one of BC’s best resorts destinations.
We are pleased to introduce our keynote speaker, Jay Ingram, a science writer and broadcaster, and a former co-host of Discovery Channel’s Daily Planet.
Ready to rock and roll? Our fantastic entertainment headliner, Clayton Bellamy and The Congregation (you may know him as a founding member of The Roadhammers) and late-night, Jack Semple will get you moving!
Other conference features include numerous continuing professional development (CPD) breakout sessions, a trade show featuring support and service providers, leaderboard prizes, networking opportunities, an exciting atmosphere, and more! View the BC SCI-CON 2022 ‘Environmental Management & Resiliency’ schedule, here!
The event runs from Thursday, May 5 to Saturday, May 7, 2022, and our CPD breakout session topics will be soon announced in our conference schedule.
100% refund guaranteed for event cancelation due to Covid-19 restrictions. Tickets are limited due to our shared capacity, so don’t hesitate and book now!
Additional ticket options include:
- Plus + One registration, $99 + CC Service Fee + GST – NOW available! Access to the evening reception and entertainment on Thursday, May 5, and Friday, May 6, 2022
- Naramata Wine Tour registration, $125 + CC Service Fee + GST (regular price is $159 + CC Service Fee + GST) – NOW available! Post-conference tour to commence on Saturday afternoon, May 7, 2022. Tour includes pick up and drop off from the hotel and will include 3 wineries and 1 cidery/distillery (all tastings are included in the fee). By booking the tour through our discounted group block, you are saving $29+CC Service Fee + GST
- Live Streaming Only registration, complimentary – NOW available! Access to ASTTBC’s annual general meeting and select sessions live-streamed through the event app
To request a SCI-CON BC 2022 Conference receipt after registration, please email Lumi Guias, ASTTBC Accountant: email@example.com
Sponsor & Exhibitor Opportunities
It gives us great pleasure to invite you to become a sponsor or exhibitor at ASTTBC and BCIA’s first-ever joint conference: BC SCI-CON 2022.
BC SCI-CON 2022 provides the perfect opportunity for you to reach key individuals in British Columbia’s applied tech and agrology industry. With our exclusive sponsorship options, the conference offers a variety of marketing and advertising opportunities to help you communicate your brand, product, and solutions to your target audience. Please download our Sponsor & Exhibitor Package for detailed information.
Thank you to our BC SCI-CON 2022 Sponsors & Exhibitors!
Gold Sponsor, BCIT is one of BC's largest post-secondary institutions with more than 48,000 students. 6 General Areas of Study. On-Campus or Online Study. Full or Part-Time Studies.
Gold Sponsor, VICTOR has always brought a nimble, future-focused approach to our insurance solutions. As a Victor company, we’re part of the largest managing general underwriter in the world and continuing our commitment to brokers and clients.
Gold Sponsor, Okanagan College is a community of learning, rich with cultural diversity and academic support. Learners are at the heart of everything we do – evidenced by smaller class sizes, industry-experienced professors, and hands-on learning in addition to co-op, field, and practicum opportunities.
Bronze Sponsor, Investment Agriculture Foundation of BC (IAF), an industry-led, not for profit that delivers government-funded programs to the agriculture and agri-food sector of British Columbia.
Bronze Sponsor, TD Insurance is part of the TD Bank Group, one of Canada's largest financial services organizations. We offer general insurance, life, and health insurance.
Bronze Sponsor, SLR Consulting are global leaders in environmental and advisory solutions: helping clients achieve their sustainability goals.
Bronze Sponsor, Manulife Financial provides insurance and investment solutions for individuals and organizations.
Bronze Sponsor, DWB Consulting Services Ltd. is a dynamic, multidisciplinary consulting firm specializing in value-added engineering, environmental, and forestry services.
Bronze Sponsor, Engineers, and Geoscientists British Columbia is the business name of the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of the Province of British Columbia. Engineers and Geoscientists BC regulates and governs these professions under the authority of the Professional Governance Act.
Social Media Sponsor, Sage Environmental Consulting: Contaminated Sites Investigation / Remediation, Habitat Assessment & Permitting, Habitat Restoration, & Construction Monitoring.
BC SCI-CON 2022 will commence on Thursday, May 5, 2022, with conference check-in and Welcome Reception in the evening. We will continue on Friday with a full day of exciting sessions and activities such as the BCIA 75TH Anniversary Reception and Entertainment Evening.
On our final day, Saturday, May 7, we will participate in more sessions and activities and adjourn with closing remarks after lunch. Those who purchased their Naramata Wine Tour tickets will join us for an excursion of three (3) wineries and a (1) cidery/distillery, tasting fees are included. A detailed schedule will be announced in the coming weeks.
Keynote Speaker: Jay Ingram, Science Writer & Broadcaster, Former Co-host of Discovery Channel’s Daily Planet
Science broadcaster and writer Jay Ingram is best known as co-host of Discovery Channel’s science show, Daily Planet for 16 years. It was television’s only daily hour-long prime-time science and nature news magazine. He continues sharing his insights on discoveries, the brain, and the ‘science of why?’ to audiences across the country. Jay is an engaging, provocative speaker who can address complex, scientific issues in non-technical terms, making them interesting, relevant, and accessible to a wide range of audiences.
- In 2022, the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) tapped Jay Ingram to be ambassador and spokesperson in launching its first national dementia awareness campaign during Alzheimer’s Awareness Month in Canada, to reduce negative perceptions about dementia and the people living with the condition.
- From 2005 to 2015 he was Chair of the Science Communications Program at the Banff Centre (now part of Beakerhead), a unique undertaking to promote creative science writing, broadcasting, and social media. He is also co-founder of Beakerhead, an arts and engineering happening in Calgary, Alberta.
- Jay was awarded the Sandford Fleming Medal from the Royal Canadian Institute for his efforts to popularize science, and he also earned the Royal Society of Canada’s McNeil Medal for the Public Awareness of Science. Jay was also awarded a Michael Smith Award for Science Promotion by the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada. He is a Distinguished Alumnus of the University of Alberta and has received six honorary doctorates. He is a recipient of the Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal and named to The Order of Canada.
- Jay has written more than 15 books, three of which have won Canadian Science Writers’ Awards and several have been on the bestseller list. They have been translated into 15 languages. He is the 2015 recipient of the Walter C. Alvarez award for medical writing given by the American Medical Writers Association.
Entertainment, Headliner: Clayton Bellamy and The Congregation
Welcome to Clayton’s solo project, The Congregation. Served up through a high-octane blend of gospel, R&B, and riff-driven hard rock – the only requirement for membership is the willingness to worship at the altar of love. “It’s rock and roll church and love is what it’s all about.”
The Congregation is a rock n roll tent revival – the preacher man leads the way to a musical salvation. The brainchild of Clayton Bellamy, a multi-award-winning songwriter whose numerous projects have sold over half a million copies worldwide, The Congregation is the next step in his evolution. Produced by HMA winner Dan Weller, (Enter Shikari, Sikth) and mixed by Grammy-winner Adrian Bushby (Foo Fighters, Muse), this is a sermon unlike any you’ve heard before.
Late-Night Entertainment, Jack Semple
Jack Semple has played from Vancouver to Montreux, has worked for CBC radio and TV, won a Juno award, and shared the stage with a wide range of top artists, from Martha Reeves to K.D. Lang. He was the national winner of the Much Music “Guitar Wars”. Now, if you can’t get to see him perform near you, pick up a copy of his most recent CD release entitled “Can’t Stop This Love”. Discover for yourself the treasure called Jack Semple!
- Western Canadian Music Award for best Blues CD In the Blue Light (2013)
- Western Canadian Music Award for best instrumental CD Qu’Appelle (2006)
- Juno Award “Best roots recording”
- “Guitar Wars” Winner of Much Music’s National Guitar Competition (1992)
- Gemini Award-nominated for best musical score (1999, 2000)
Hotel Booking & Venue Information
Guests are required to make their own reservations by calling 1-800-663-9400 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and identifying themselves as attendees of the ASTTBC & BCIA joint conference to receive the special guestroom rate. All reservations must be guaranteed with a credit card.
Special Hotel Room Concessions: Pending availability at the time of booking, these guestroom rates may be extended up to three (3) days prior and post-room block dates.
Location: Penticton Lakeside Resort is located on 21 Lakeshore Drive W Penticton, BC, V2A 7M5
Check-in time is 4:00 p.m., check-out time is 11:00 a.m.: Individuals may be able to check-in earlier if their room is vacant and ready for occupation. The hotel is not able to guarantee early check-ins. The hotel will supply luggage storage at no additional cost.
Parking & Wi-Fi: Parking is $10 + GST per day, per vehicle, for in-house guests. The hotel provides complimentary Wi-Fi to all guestrooms and event venues.
- Main building: 1 or 2 Queen Guestrooms: Cityview $144 | Lakeview $161
- King Suites: Cityview N/A | Lakeview $178, Cityview $195 | Partial Lakeview N/A | Lakeview $229
- West Wing King Guestrooms: Parkview $195 | Partial Lakeview $195 | Lakeview $212
- West Wing King Suites: Parkview $229 | Partial Lakeview $246 | Lakeview $263
Room rates are based on single/double occupancy, are net, non-commissionable, and subject to applicable taxes. Taxes total 15% (8% PST, 5% GST and 2% AHRT) and are subject to change with legislation. Specific room types are subject to availability at the time of booking.