Should I request my transcripts be sent to BCIA before I apply?

Please submit your application FIRST, then request your transcripts (including related transfer credits) be sent to the BCIA office. Electronic transcripts are accepted.

For those with post-secondary degrees awarded outside of Canada, include a copy of original transcripts within the online application form AND request a comprehensive evaluation as described on the How to Apply page.

How long will it take for my application to be processed?

Applications will be reviewed when all documentation, including transcripts and a third-party international report, if applicable, are received. Depending on the complexity of the application, it may take 8-12 weeks or less for the Credentials Committee to adjudicate the application. Additional time may be required if the Credentials Committee requests further information.

Will becoming a registrant of BCIA assist me in finding employment?

By becoming a registrant of BCIA and using the appropriate title and designation, you are indicating to employers and the public that you are registered with a professional body, will adhere to a strict code of ethics and meet the standards of professional conduct. Many employment opportunities, especially within the government, require registration with BCIA, so having the designation will give you the advantage over others that do not have a designation.

I have a Ph.D. and Master's degree in a relevant field, but my Bachelor's degree is not related to agrology. Can I still apply to BCIA?

BCIA requires all applicants to have a minimum of a science-based Bachelor's degree that contains certain foundational and agrology-related coursework to apply for registration. Doctorates and Masters' degrees on their own do not provide a sufficient amount of agrology-related courses or the required foundational knowledge courses to qualify for admission to BCIA.

Do I need to have a mentor at the time of application? Revised October 2021

If you already know a potential mentor, we strongly encourage you to secure them at the time of application so that when a decision is made on the application, you will have a mentor in place, with a mentoring agreement to be signed and submitted to the head office. Your mentor must be a registrant of BCIA in good standing. 

Your signed mentoring agreement is due two (2) months after you are notified of acceptance as an Articling Registrant. Articling program elements will not be recognized until the mentoring agreement is submitted. Check the Mentoring Directory.

Articling Program registrants that have NOT submitted their signed mentoring agreement in the two months since their notice of acceptance into BCIA will have their articling term held in abeyance (put on hold) until the mentoring agreement is received. This, in effect, will extend the articling term to however long the signed mentoring agreement is outstanding.

I'm not sure if I have the coursework to meet the registration requirements. Can I have my transcripts reviewed before I apply?

Unfortunately, BCIA does not have the resources to preview all potential applications. Please use the Academic Worksheet as a tool to assist you when referencing the definition of Agrology according to the Agrologists' Regulation. If needed, contact the Deputy Registrar to discuss your situation.

My new employer requires that I become a registrant of BCIA. If I send in my official application for a preview, can you tell me immediately if I will be accepted as a Registrant?

Once you have submitted a completed application package with payment, the Registrar can provide a letter to your employer stating that you have applied to BCIA. BCIA staff cannot provide you with a guarantee that you will be accepted based upon an application package being received. Your application must be reviewed by the Credentials Committee before any official decisions are made, which can take 8-12 weeks or sooner, depending on the current workload of the Committee and the complexity of the application.

My courses are not on the approved course listings online. Can I still apply?

Yes, you can still apply. The approved listings online are composed of course offerings by BC post-secondary institutions yet all courses are considered, including those offered outside of Canada. International applicants (outside of Canada) will need to have their courses evaluated by an evaluating company. Please be aware that there may be a significant delay in assessing applications for international transcripts and degrees, due to the time it takes for them to be comprehensively evaluated. Please contact ICES (preferred), WES or IQAS directly for their current processing times.

Can I apply for PAg or TAg job opportunities when I join BCIA?

If you have already obtained a professional designation (PAg or TAg) you may apply to professional employment opportunities. Articling registrants, i.e. AAg or ATAg, are not eligible to apply for PAg or TAg positions without the authorization of the prospective employer. The articling period is two years; however, if a term reduction request is received and subsequently granted as part of the original application, the articling term will be reduced to one year. Please see Term Reduction Request

I am not employed in agrology work at the time of application. How does this affect my articling program if accepted?

New Registrants are placed in the Articling Program; however, the articling term will not commence until BCIA is notified of employment in the field of agrology by submission of a written job description and confirmation of the start date of employment. Components of the Articling Program may be completed while searching for employment; however, the full articling term must be satisfied with cumulative full-time employment in agrology.

If an individual is completing a Master's or Ph.D. program, they are held to be a student, and so the experience gained within the program does not count towards the completion of the articling term.

I am a recent graduate from a post-secondary institution and I am looking to apply to become an articling Registrant. The BCIA website says that half of the application fee will be waived if the application is received within six months after graduation. 

There is a check box to tick within the application form indicating a request for the reduced application fee. The reduced rate will be applied at the time the application is submitted with a review of transcripts to verify the official graduation (or letter from the school indicating all program elements are completed).  

​​​​​​​What is the difference between Expedited Admission and Term Reduction Request?

Those with the required educational requirements and a minimum of 15+ relevant work experience may be eligible for immediate full-status professional registration within BCIA via the Expedited Admission Program.

A term reduction request is for applicants with the required educational requirements and who possess a minimum of six years of work experience in agrology, of which two years must be in Canada. The term reduction applies to the length of the Articling Program, to one year instead of two years, with identical articling elements.

Site by Deck Fifty